If you are planning to get pregnant and have been facing troubles, It might be because you are unaware of the various aspects of female fertility. Although you might have believed until now that you can get pregnant anytime you wish to, that is not completely true. The brief time period after your menstruation ends known as the fertility window, is the only time when you can get pregnant. In this article, we have discussed some of the fertility factors associated with getting pregnant and also suggested some of the tips you can follow to figure out the best days to conceive in a month.
To begin with, let us first understand the time in your menstruation cycle where you are most fertile and have the highest chance of getting pregnant. Since your fertility is at its highest during this time, it is termed as Fertility Window. Now, let’s discuss how pregnancy can be ensured. Along with this, we have also discussed the role of the fertility window and other factors associated with it.
1. Fertility Window:
The fertility window is the time period in a menstrual cycle when your ovary releases an egg. During fertilization, this egg fuses with the sperm and transforms into an embryo, which then develops into a child. On average, an unfertilized egg can survive for a day inside your body in normal conditions.
Therefore, for healthy women, the fertile window is around 6 days long, incorporating the sperm survival rate of 5 days with the day of ovulation. This is your most fertile window and it can become the perfect time for you to have sex allowing the maximum chances for the egg to fertilize.
Now, the question of how can you figure out when are you going to ovulate and how to determine the length of the fertility window arises. Let us discuss it below:
The average time duration of a menstrual cycle is 28 days, however, it can vary from 21 days to 35 days. So, let’s figure out the best days to conceive after your period. Ovulation occurs about 14 days before your period begins every month and the fertility window ends with it.
- If your average menstrual cycle is of 28 days, you ovulate around day 14, and your most fertile days are days 12, 13 and 14.
- If your average menstrual cycle is of 35 days you ovulate around day 21 and your most fertile days are days 19,20 and 21.
- If you have shorter cycles, say of 21 days, you ovulate around day 7 and your most fertile days are days 5, 6 and 7.
This fertility window is the best time to get pregnant after your period and to keep a track of your ovulation, you can also use an ovulation tracker.
There are various other ways using which you can find out about your time of ovulation. Here are some of them-
- Ovulation predictor kit: You can use a predictor kit to test your urine for signs of ovulation. You can start testing your urine a few days before the day you next expect to ovulate. These kits test for the peak or rising of Luteinizing Hormone (LH) which works as a trigger for egg release. If you get a positive result, it means that you are going to ovulate within the next 24 to 36 hours (one to two days). You can buy an ovulation kit from a pharmacy.
- Changes in Vaginal discharge: Before few days of ovulation, you might notice some changes in your vaginal discharge. It becomes clear, slick and slippery and feels something like an egg white. All of these indicate that ovulation is about to occur. This is the best time to have sex as the sperm are able to travel more easily in such kind of mucus.
3. Irregular Menstrual cycle:
Having irregularity in periods does not mean that your fertility has been affected. In most cases, the fertility remains intact and also allow the same chances of having a baby as any woman with regular periods. You should use a period cycle calculator to mark the exact variation in your periods. If your periods are more than 36 days apart, you should visit and discuss it with your gynecologist.
Sometimes the irregularity is caused due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or a thyroid disorder. These conditions can significantly affect your chances of conceiving, so get help as soon as you can. Irregular periods can make it more difficult to figure out the exact duration of your fertility window too.
4. Ways to maximize fertility and conception chances:
Use a period cycle calculator to time your sexual intercourse and try to do it during the 2 to 3 days of ovulation as these are the best days to conceive. Sex during these days improves around 20–30 percent chances of having a healthy pregnancy.
Other tips to improve the chances of conception include:
- Try having sex every two or three days throughout the month: Pregnancy rates are highest for couples who have sex twice or thrice in a week.
- Stop tobacco use: Using tobacco significantly reduces the chances of getting pregnant. So, stop using any tobacco products.
- Say no to Alcohol: Alcohol intake can reduce male fertility which can compromise the chances of conception, and later, even causing birth defects in babies. So try to avoid any kind of alcohol-related product.
- Stay fit and healthy: Women who are overweight or underweight are more likely to have irregular ovulation. This causes the conception to be delayed. So try to follow a healthy lifestyle.
Visit your doctor and have an overall health checkup. This will help them identify methods so that the probability of conception may be increased. If you still face other issues with fertility or are unable to conceive, there are many other options such as IVF, artificial insemination and surrogacy which can help you become a parent. Together with your partner, take this next step with the utmost consideration, care, and excitement for the little one you are planning to bring into this world!
FAQs about the best time to get pregnant
Q1. How long after you ovulate are you fertile?
Ans. You can get pregnant after ovulation, but it is limited only for 12-24 hours after the egg has been released. Although cervical mucus helps the male sperm to live up to 5 days inside a woman’s body, the chances of getting pregnant after ovulation is limited only for a day.
Q2. Can you ovulate late and still get pregnant?
Ans. Many women face the problem of late ovulation but are still able to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy. This means that even if you’ve had sex in the days before you ovulate, this can still give your egg a good chance of being fertilized.