9 Things You Didn’t Know About Normal Delivery

Childbirth is not only a big moment in the journey of motherhood, but also the climax of your pregnancy. It has been observed that many women develop a lot of curiosity and anxiety over it. Normal delivery, especially, is a topic for a lot of doubt, nervousness and voracious reading to know more about it. To replace this nervousness with anticipation, here are 9 things you might not know about vaginal births: 

Number 1

Around 4% of the babies are delivered in breech presentation during natural birth. A breech presentation is when their feet or bottom comes out first and the head is last. It is actually the opposite of a regular birth position of the baby delivered the other 96% of the time.

A baby usually enters the normal delivery position a few weeks before birth.

Number 2

The time of recovery after a natural birth is shorter than that of a C-section because there are no surgical procedures involved. Thus, you can generally get discharged from the hospital in a day or two. 

Only 24-48 hrs recovery time is usually needed after natural birth.

Number 3

Your body generates and retains quite a lot of fluid during pregnancy. And any saline or IV drip to prevent dehydration during a long labour can cause swelling of various body parts like the face and the ankles. 

The swelling is temporary and often goes away after urination and sweating too much!

Number 4

You can hold and even start breastfeeding your baby right after giving birth in case of a normal delivery. As you are not subjected to any surgery and anaesthesia, you will be in your right mind to interact with the newborn.

Natural birth allows you to be close to your baby almost immediately.

Number 5

Studies show that kids born from natural delivery are less likely to have asthma or lactose intolerance in their life due to an early boost to their immunity. They also don’t suffer from respiratory diseases or problems like Transient Tachypnea of the Neonate (TTN) at birth. This is because your muscles also squeeze out fluids out of the baby’s lungs. 

Your baby is healthy and with boosted immunity after birth.

Number 6

If you thought that constipation and urination problems will end with pregnancy, they will not. Your control over bowel movements and urination may get a little low for a brief time after the birth, along with some lingering pains in both areas.

Number 7

There are often instances in normal delivery where the baby’s heart rate drops. It may cause you some distress, but an abnormal fetal heart rate does not always mean trouble. It usually happens when the umbilical cord is pressed or squeezed during the delivery.

Your baby’s heart is monitored with an electrical fetal heart rate monitor during delivery.

Number 8

Did you know that precipitate labour is a fast labour? It is so rapid that a woman goes into labour and gives birth within just 3 hours. It is a rare occurrence that happens to only 2 in a hundred women, that is just 2% of pregnant women.

Number 9

Sometimes women require stitches after a vaginal birth due to tearing of skin or tissues around the vagina. Bleeding and spotting till a few weeks after vaginal birth is also expected and nothing to be afraid of.

Vaginal birth can have its own problems like vaginal tearing, which are treatable.

Labour and delivery can be very hectic for mothers. It is often even compared to running a marathon! Maybe you will not be aware of a lot of things happening around you at that time and will have only vague recollections of your labour after birth. It is still important to know and feel prepared before going into it. In the experience of many other moms, being as calm as possible during vaginal birth does help. So try not to worry right now, the time to meet your baby is nearing and by whichever way you reach this milestone, know that the journey will definitely be worth it!

Leave A Reply


Navigate